MarkUs Blog

MarkUs Developers Blog About Their Project

Archive for the ‘meeting minutes’ tag

Meeting Minutes: March 19, 2010

without comments

The IRC log for this meeting can be found here.

Robert

  • Finished phase 2 of the new Noteables
  • Can now create notes on Students and Assignments from the new notes page
  • Robert is currently refactoring a few of the new tests so they are less repetitive
  • Robert will be adding New Note Dialog links to the student and assignment pages

Joseph

  • Met up with Mike on Tuesday and came up with the following list of tasks:
  1. Rename ajax_pagination helper to just pagination helper
  2. Test pagination_helper
  3. Test S_TABLE_PARAMS
  4. Migrate submissions_controller_test
  5. Test that the browse method returns groupings
  • Joseph has already got 1 and 4 on Review Board

Farah

  • Farah finished implementing the ability to release/unreleased the marks for grade entry forms
  • Finished unit tests for releasing the marks and the student interface
  • Farah will be working on the functional tests next, then on the CSV upload/download

Bryan

  • Working with performance lag of Machinist
  • Working with ResultControllerTest – takes several minutes to run using Machinist (one set)
  • Last week Mike told Bryan about FactoryDataPreloader – Bryan tried it and uploaded his first version on Thursday
  • Robert and Joseph pointed out that the FactoryDataPreloader was similar to fixtures so Bryan uploaded a new version Thursday evening.
  • How to get FactoryDataPreloader to be used in conjunction with Machinist elegantly will require further discussion
  • Uploaded user stories for the feature that assigns graders to a criteria

Brian

  • Uploaded modified version of flexible scheme – will be uploading another version Friday evening
  • Will be refactoring the database schema
  • Will be working with Bryan to build prototype for the new database
  • Fixed things that were discussed on Review Board

Nelle

  • MarkUs is deployed at Centrale Nantes
  • Will be updating documentation with Benjamin
  • Didn’t do LDAP configuration yet

Other Notes

  • May be good idea to include a “Provide Feedback” link on MarkUs that would lead to a central site where we can collect usability feedback on.
  • MarkUs blog very developer oriented – we’re missing documentation and news for users and system administrators (e.g., new features implemented in the new release).

Written by Victoria

March 20th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Posted in Meetings,Minutes

Tagged with

Meeting Minutes: March 5, 2010

with one comment

Brian Xu

  • There’s a question about refactoring the FlexibleCriteria treatment to avoid if “rubric”/else statements.  Karen suggests that, since it’s a relatively complicated question, it be deferred to the end of the meeting
  • Uploaded some new screenshots to ReviewBoard to display FlexibleCriteria functionality
  • For FlexibleCriteria, a valid mark x is a float/integer where 0<=x<=max
  • Victoria should play with the new FlexibleCriteria interface when it’s added to ReviewBoard, to give her input

Bryan Shen

  • Karen thanks Bryan for his help with the dropdown problem experienced at UWaterloo
  • Has been writing tests for FlexibleCriteria – ran into a problem with lots of repeated code
  • Found an elegant solution to the above problem after posting a question on StackOverflow
  • Will work on mapping TAs to marking scheme elements after finishing FlexibleCriteria
  • Mike notes that, realistically speaking, work on mapping TAs to marking scheme elements will probably not get too far before term ends – should focus on foundation work and documentation for next developers to work on it
  • Karen will get the specs for mapping TAs to marking scheme elements to Bryan sometime this weekend

Farah Juma

  • The student interface for the GradeEntryForms is in pretty good shape now
  • Just needs to add ability to release/unrelease marks, CSV upload/download, and tests
  • Mike and Karen want a sneak preview so they can try it out

Joseph Mate

  • Has put up a review request to switch submissions table from AJAX to server-side paginate
  • Did some review requests, and wrote a blog post
  • Next steps include testing, cleaning up the code to take advantage of will_paginate, possibly moving GradeEntryForm to server-side paginate, and getting the detailed submissions table view working again
  • Mike notes that the old functions for the detailed table should still exist, and that getting it going again should (hopefully) not be too hard

Robert Burke

  • Is putting test conversion to Shoulda off to one-side – taking longer than expected (has to rewrite many tests from scratch), and wants to focus on Notables instead
  • Mike notes that it’d be a good general rule of thumb to avoid writing any new tests with Fixtures, but that converting old tests from Fixtures is a task that can be put off for a little while

Karen Reid

  • Checks to ensure that everybody got their midterm report up on UCOSP blog
  • Thanks to everybody who helped out with UWaterloo bugs this week!
  • Classes at UofT end on April 1st.  End on April 5th for UWaterloo, and April 16 for SFU.
  • Karen expects 4 more weeks of work from each team member, but is happy to see it stretch into April if needs be (marks will be sent to schools by end of April)
  • Soft end-date for work is April 1st.  Brian Xu, Bryan Shen, and Robert Burke might continue working.
  • Byron (UWaterloo) is coming to UofT on April 9th to discuss MarkUs plans – all are invited to attend

Brian Xu’s Database Question

  • Original proposals for FlexibleCriteria from Laval students
  • Brian explains the current situation:  In its current implementation, a method “get_criteria” has been added to Assignment model to retrieve collection of criteria (either Flexible or Rubric)
  • Mike thinks it’d be a good idea to try to merge Flexible and Rubric tables into a single Criteria table, and then use Single Table Inheritance to let Assignments / Grader View / View Marks views be ignorant of which marking scheme is being used
  • We are unable to find a scenario which breaks this model
  • The design plan is approved – but delayed until the summer.  Brian Xu / Bryan Shen will continue developing so as to only support Rubric and Flexible Criteria.  Refactoring will happen afterwards.

Written by m_conley

March 6th, 2010 at 1:03 pm