Archive for the ‘markus’ tag
The team is pleased to announce MarkUs 1.0-alpha! This release is tagged as « alpha » in order to allow for further testing and feedback, and all input is welcome. This release may be used in production.
MarkUs 1.0-alpha contains many fixes and some features:
- We are now using Rails 3.0
- We fully support for Ruby 1.9.x
- Changed PDF conversion to Ghostscript for faster conversion
- We introduced a new REST API
- Users now have the ability to import/export assignments settings
- Improvements have been made to section management
- Tests no longer use fixtures
For a list of all fixed issues, refer to: https://github.com/MarkUsProject/Markus/issues?milestone=8&state=closed Furthermore, the change log can be found at: https://github.com/MarkUsProject/Markus/blob/master/Changelog.
Go to http://www.markusproject.org to download it!
We suggest not updating from previous instances, as due to the significant number of changes introduced to the application, data loss is possible.
Thanks to all the contributors who made this release possible. Keep up the good work!
- Installed MarkUs on a second computer just in case;
- Wrote an article for the EAT-TICE blog;
- Started drafting the final report;
- Did some research on two specific subjects for Guillaume Moreau.
- Finalizing RGhost solution: mainly testing.
- Implemented the RGhost solution for “pdf to jpg” conversion (previously ImageMagick) ;
- Investigated a solution for displaying the images resulting from the conversion ;
- Implemented the solution for that ;
- Testing what has been implemented ;
- Corrected the state of the art to include Guillaume Moreau’s indications.
- Validating the choices we have made so far during a meeting with Guillaume Moreau;
- Studying in depth the conversion process to facilitate future work –by understanding MarkUs integration requirements .
- A lot of interviews for my internship this week!
- Computed some tests on the memory size option of the ImageMagick “convert” function –> not conclusive
- Computed some tests on the GhostScript convert functions –> much more efficient
- Discovered a ruby gem called RGhost making available these GhostScript functions in Ruby
- Computed some tests on the ImageMagick “montage” function
- Validating the use of RGhost by supervisors.
- Finding an acceptable way for image montage (n images to 1 image) – See if it is really necessary
- Wrote an article for the EAT-TICE blog;
- Translated it so that it may be published on MarkUs blog.
- Correcting the state of the art to include Guillaume Moreau’s indications.
- So little time!
- Worked on the code/image viewer bug in the submitted files viewer page;
- Tested the patch produced by Egor Philippov for this bug (bug 637).
- Work on the image viewer process;
- Work on the pdf to image conversion process.
(no code writing but only existing process unerstanding)
Whoops – we’ve already started off a brand new semester, and we forgot to write about what happened in the Fall!
So, without further delay, here’s what happened with the UCOSP team last semester for MarkUs:
Projects that we started…
There were 3 main projects last semester. In no particular order, they were…
Vivien and Misa were tasked with implementing a re-mark request feature. This feature would allow students to request re-marks, and have graders / instructors issue re-marks, all within MarkUs.
Hora and Kurtis were asked to put some graphs into the MarkUs dashboard to display mark distributions and other useful data.
Automated Testing Framework
Evan was put to work tackling the long-awaited automated testing framework feature. The idea is that students (and graders) should be able to run submitted code through a series of testing suites, and get the test results back, all within MarkUs.
What got finished…
Misa and Vivien put together some great mock-ups for the Remark request GUI, sorted out a new database schema to support it, and wrote the majority of the code to get the feature working. There are still some leftover bits that still need to be merged, and Misa / Vivien will be finishing up that work in the next few weeks.
When he wasn’t helping us with user and developer support, Evan was kicking butt on the automated testing framework, and he got a lot done – especially with regards to the token system, which allows instructors to control how many times a student can run tests. There is still some work to do before the automated testing framework can be considered finished, and will likely be pushed at again this semester.
What’s left to do…
So, for the re-mark requests and dashboard statistics, we need to do some last minute merging and polish. For automated testing, we’re definitely going to need another round of focused development.
Anyhow, that’s where we got to.
Great job everyone!