MarkUs Blog

MarkUs Developers Blog About Their Project

Status Report – Week of Oct. 28

without comments

William

Status

  • Researched and started making test projects for git-svn interactions. Discovered that git-svn can only make git repos, if we are to proceed with git-svn we would need a new authentication system because of the git repos. A new approach for the repositories in MarkUs is needed.
  • Had a meeting with Daniyal and Dylan about what we have learned about how Git and SVN interact, and how we should proceed with the repositories.
  • Started working on a Git implementation for MarkUs, working on installing libgit2 (http://libgit2.github.com/).

Roadblocks

Next Week

  • Work on installing libgit2 and writing an installation guide for the Daniyal and Dylan and/or MarkUs Wiki
  • Update the bundler for rugged (https://github.com/libgit2/rugged) and libgit2
  • Make sure git bindings work for ruby versions 1.8.7, 1.9.3, and 2.0

Dylan

Status

  • I looked more into the svn/git problem.
  • Met with Daniyall and Bill on IRC to discuss what we had found.
  • Got a new computer so I spent some time getting my environments back.

Roadblocks

  • Days are too short.

Next week

  • Research the authentication scheme used currently by SVN.

Xiang

Status

  • Improved the Summaries table columns by dynamically producing columns according to the marking rubric for a particular assignment.
  • Came up with a working method to provide sorting function for each marking criterion, avoiding repetition of code as the same time.

Roadblocks

  •  Still need to dig some more into Rails and Javascript to find possibly better solutions for the problem and further improve the summaries tab.

Next week

  • Write detailed description of the problem and current solution
  • keep looking for better solutions (possibly focusing on Javascript/Jquery)

Arianne

Status

  • I’m almost finished working on issue-1194.
    • Adding positions to grade_entry_items:
    • Positions are updating reliably, nothing is ever out of order if it saved properly
    • Needed to change some functionality on model validation for this to work:
    •     columns with empty names don’t get saved
    •     columns with empty out_of marks get a default value of 1 (can change this to 0, whatever makes most sense)
    •     columns with duplicate names get saved but have ‘(rename)’ appended to their name
    •     adding two columns at the same time that have the same name give a runtime error (i think it always did this anyways)
    •     this was all needed because if updating the model with all items didn’t work, then we’d lose all the position data from before because the page would refresh and any unsaved columns would lose their ordering
  • Uploading from CSV:
    • Feedback please! I can either have all un-uploaded columns deleted or keep all old ones and add just any new ones. If that’s the case, should the uploaded ones be inserted before or after the original ones?
  • Fixed adding grades:
    •    Ties grade to column name now
    •    Doesn’t save grades that are nil, “”
    •    Deletes old grades that are now nil
    •    Grades that aren’t valid (strings) will cause the whole row to not save (as before)

Issues

  • RuntimeError.message isn’t working anymore: saying can’t convert to String

Next Week

  • Write tests!
  • Finish working on csv upload
  • Finally start on something new

Daniyal

Status

  • Researched how repositories are handled in MarkUs. Particularly, how authentication is done.
  • Met with Dylan and Bill to discuss current issues and goals for next week.

Roadblocks

  • Does not look like we can remove SVN bindings by having git interact with SVN since git cannot create SVN repositories.
  • Git will require a authentication system.

Next week

  • Work with Dylan and understand how authentication is currently done.
  • Figure out some of the details of what would need to be done for the new authentication system.

Written by Daniyal Liaqat

October 28th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Posted in Uncategorized

Leave a Reply