MarkUs Blog

MarkUs Developers Blog About Their Project

Status Report – Week of Oct. 7

with one comment

William

Status

 – researched potential solutions for replacing SVN bindings
 – working on blog post explaining solutions SVN bindings for blog.markusproject.org
 – spent a small amount of time learning how SVN is implemented inside MarkUs

Roadblocks

 – Limited understand of how SVN is implement in MarkUs
 – Little idea of where to start working on the binding replacement

Next Week

 – Finish and publish blog post on replacing SVN bindings
 – try to speak to other MarkUs developers on the best approach for how to replace the bindings (with Dylan and Daniyal)
 – potential work on an easy issue ticket, likely issue-323 (https://github.com/MarkUsProject/Markus/issues/323).

Dylan

Status

– Researched solutions for the SVN/Git bindings issue.
– Collaborated with William and Daniyal on how to go about solving the SVN/Git issue.
– Contributed to the blog post to do with the SVN/Git issue
– Spent some time working on issue-999. Still haven’t gotten a hang of rspec/shoulda…

Roadblocks

– Not experienced with SVN, took some work to understand how all the parts like bindings fit together.
– rspec/shoulda are still confusing to me.

Next week

– Finally put issue-999 to rest.
– continue to work with Bill and Daniyal on the SVN/Git issue.

Xiang

Status

I continued to work on the new summary page this week. I got a table with a simple layout and basically all the required data  popped into the table. I am having some issues with the details such as sorting by the new columns and I am working on it. Hopefully I will be able to resolve them and get to more detailed specifications next week.

Arianne

Status

This was my first week really working on understanding the project. I’m still working on ticket 1194: grade entry items should stay in the position they’re added by the user and not get sorted automatically.

https://github.com/MarkUsProject/Markus/issues/1194

I’ve fixed the csv upload so that the order of columns is the same and the grades match up.

Feedback request: if there are grade entry items in the form already that are not in the uploaded csv file, should the extra columns be deleted or should they stay in the form? Ie, should the uploaded csv replace everything already in the form or should existing items be merged somehow (and how… columns with same name replaced and all others just left in? This was quite broken before, so what is the ideal function of upload csv?)

I’ve run into a problem with adding the correct position to grade entry items from the user interface. The main issue is that the attributes to update are sent as a hash and there is no specific order that the updates are done in. I sent an email to markus-dev outlining the problem and asking for feedback.

I’ve looked through a few possible solutions but many of them don’t work for one reason or another. Right now I’m trying to figure out how much more to work on this ticket to finish it up or to move onto something else altogether.

Most important things I’ve learned this week:
Active record associations: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html
Active record callbacks: http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Callbacks.html
Active record migrations: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/migrations.html
Form helpers: http://guides.rubyonrails.org/form_helpers.html

Daniyal

I’ve been extremely busy this past week, so I haven’t been able to contribute as much as I’d like. I’ve looked over lib/repos and am figuring out what sort of changes we would have to make for each solution. I will try to post my findings as a reply on your post if I can otherwise I will email you in the next few days.

I’m looking forward to starting coding after a bit more discussion on the different solutions.

Written by Dylan Runkel

October 15th, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Posted in Status Reports

One Response to 'Status Report – Week of Oct. 7'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Status Report – Week of Oct. 7'.

  1. Arianne, I think the uploaded csv should replace everyhting in the form. Merging is too hard.

    Karen Reid

    21 Oct 13 at 11:57 am

Leave a Reply